Want to make creations as awesome as this one?

More creations to inspire you

TEN WAYS TO SAVE WATER

Horizontal infographics

NORMANDY 1944

Horizontal infographics

LIZZO

Horizontal infographics

BEYONCÉ

Horizontal infographics

ONE MINUTE ON THE INTERNET

Horizontal infographics

SITTING BULL

Horizontal infographics

Transcript

Timeline Infographic

Ellis Island

1600s-1700s

The island was initially called "Little Oyster Island" by the Lenape Native Americans.

1890

The U.S. government designated Ellis Island as the site for the new federal immigration station.

1900

The current immigration buidling opened and became a major gateway for immigrants entering the United States, with millions of arrivals from Europe passing through its inspection process.

1808

The federal government acquired Ellis Island,

1892

The first Ellis Island immigration station officially opened.

Also known as "Gull Island" due to its bird population. Photo by Tarpit Grover on Unsplash Samuel Ellis, a New York merchant, purchased the island. The island was then named after him.

On June 15, 1897, the original Ellis Island immigration station building, which was made from Georgia pine, was destroyed in a fire. The building opened on January 1, 1892 as the first federal immigration processing station replacing the previous immigration center in Manhattan. Up until this time, immigration was managed on a state level.

Annie Moore, a teenager from Ireland, was the first immigrant to be processed.

Timeline Infographic

Ellis Island

1902

Hospital contruction began on the south side.

1924

With the passage of the Immigration Act of 1924 and the subsequent decline in immigration, the need for the hospital's services diminished. .

1954

Ellis Island officially closed as an immigration processing station, and the hospital facilities were largely abandoned.

1910-20s

The hospital played a crucial role during the influenza pandemic of 1918, treating and isolating patients to prevent the spread of the disease.

1934

Ellis Island's role shifted towards detention and deportation, and the hospital facilities were used less frequently for medical purposes.

Timeline Infographic

Ellis Island

1990

The Ellis Island Immigration Museum opened, showcasing the history and experiences of immigrants who passed through the island.

2009

Save Ellis Island begins to host walking tours of the hospital complex.

2019

Save Ellis Island begins resotration of the Recreation Pavillion.

1998

The non-profit organization Save Ellis Island was formed to raise the funds needed to rehabilitate / repurpose 29 buildings on Ellis.

2014

JR exhibt "Unframed" ioebs at Ellis Island using archival photographs.

Ellis Island overview

The hospital staff lived on the Island either in single rooms or dormintory style. They used the ferry to travel to New York or New Jersey. Here is an image of a pharmacist working in the lab.

Staff on the Island

It was designed to provide medical care for those who were deemed sick or in need of further examination.

It was used for various purposes, including a munitions depot and a fortification during the War of 1812.His heirs sold it to New York state, and the state sold it to the federal government in 1808. It was used as a fort and known as Fort Gibson. This photo shows it today.

Early Ellis Island

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit

Fresh air and sunshine were considered important to recovery. The open air Recreation Pavillion was finished in 1934 between islands Two and Three. Here is a picture during the construction. Save Ellis Island recently restored the building and you can visit it on their Hard Hat Tours.

Patients enjoy the outdoors

Recreation Pavillion

Save Ellis Island was awarded the “Preservation Projects Award" from Preservation New Jersey for their work on this project. This picture is from the original construction. In the background, you can see the framing of the Recreation Hall. The Hall has not be restored and is not open to the public.

Award Winner

Preservation Project Award