Want to create interactive content? It’s easy in Genially!

Get started free

Untitled genially

Josh Wells

Created on May 22, 2024

Start designing with a free template

Discover more than 1500 professional designs like these:

Vision Board

Periodic Table

SWOT Challenge: Classify Key Factors

Explainer Video: Keys to Effective Communication

Explainer Video: AI for Companies

Corporate CV

Flow Presentation

Transcript

Click or press buildings and numbers to reveal more information

840 Beaufort Street (c.1934, Himalayan.)

Behind the more recent facade at 840 Beaufort Street is a hall which has seen more than 90 years of events, meetings, dances, and wedding receptions. Riley’s Hall opened in 1934 and quickly became the place on this stretch of Beaufort Street for entertainment. In the mid-1930s, Inglewood Cricket Club held weekly dances in the Hall to raise money for club funds. Not only did these weekly events involve dancing competitions, but also exhibition dances by experienced dancers, all held together by an orchestra. Politicians held rallies there, and although these were usually just State politics, one of these was much more controversial. Having failed to book Perth Town Hall or Bayswater Town Hall, because the council refused permission, the local National Socialist (Nazi) Party announced their first meeting would be at the privately-owned Riley’s Hall in October 1936. The leader of the party, William George Tracey, intended to parade large numbers of blue-shirted men through the streets of Perth, but his plans fortunately came to nothing. He even offered 500 free Nazi blue shirts to men who could not afford them. Happily, the local National Socialist party vanished with the outbreak of World War II, with public indifference likely the cause rather than government suppression.

Image courtesy of City of Stirling Community History Collection

824 Beaufort Street (Mondos, building 1935, butchers on this site since 1932)

There has been a butcher’s shop at 824 Beaufort Street since 1932, although the current building appears to date from a few years after that. Originally run by the McGovern brothers, it still operates at a butcher nearly a century later. W. F. McGovern was not only a master butcher, he was also well-known in Belmont as one of the few people who bred and trained his own horses. He became interested in racing when he acquired Flying Lass in 1937 from a breeder in Coorow. This horse was so successful he bought three more from the same dam (mother), a horse called Beehive. All of these were very successful, including Pantive who held the State record for six furlongs in the 1940s.

937 Beaufort Street (1928)

In 1938, a notice in the West Australian announced the death of Isabella Alice Cross of 937 Beaufort Street. She was described only as “devoted friend of ‘Ruby’ Mary Mattinson”. The ‘devoted friend’ phrase may indicate that Isabella and Ruby were lovers. Isabella had married Walter Cross in 1905, at St George’s Church in Busselton. She asked if her friend, Ruby, could come and stay with them. Although Walter initially agreed, he fell out with Ruby and asked her to leave, which she refused to do. The husband-wife relationship broke down, and at the divorce hearing in 1920, Walter testified that Isabella left the marital bed to share Ruby’s. Eventually, Isabella and Ruby opened a deli on the corner of Beaufort Street and Normanby Road, which they ran together until Isabella’s death in 1938.

948 Beaufort Street (c.1935)

During the 1930s, many German and Austrian residents in Western Australia faced significant challenges due to rising tensions between the British and German Empires. As war loomed in 1939, anti-German sentiment grew here and the German and Austrian communities, once well-established and liked, found themselves under suspicion and even hostility. During this time, many German cultural establishments closed, and families Anglicised their names to hide their heritage. In 1939, 948 Beaufort Street was home to Johann Cykl, who was born at Hausbach, a small village near Vienna. He had been residing in Western Australia for ten years before the impending war meant that life became more difficult for Austrians living here. As a result, he slightly modified his name to John Cykle and applied for Naturalisation, making him a British Citizen, as all Australians still were in the 1930s. A ladies’ hairdresser, John does not seem to have suffered too badly because of World War II, and by 1948 had a shop in Claremont, before opening a salon in Bunbury opposite the Rose Hotel. There he lived out the rest of life, being buried there in 1990 aged 83.

Cecchi's

A closer look at 1000 Beaufort Street reveals a commercial premises facing the street and duplex housing behind the frontage. Quite often this is the result of a shop being added to housing which was set back from the street, but in this case, it was built exactly like this. The first occupants of the front in 1936 was Central Provisions Stores, which had branches across Perth. The owner/developer of the site was Walter William Goodlet, who served in the 11th Battalion during World War I. He landed at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915 and fought bravely against the Turks but was wounded twice and suffered from pleurisy. He returned to Australia, but still insisted on rejoining his unit in France, where he was wounded again in the neck and leg. He wrote a personal account of his landing at Gallipoli, which is a moving tribute to his fallen comrades. After the war, Goodlet became an electrician, a farmer, a property investor, and a local government official. One of his property investments was 1000 Beaufort Street.

Inglenooks

Built for and by Inglewood locals, the Inglenooks are an Inglewood on Beaufort project designed to revamp and beautify the Dove House, Tirza Court and 898 Beaufort Street spaces. If you're following the trail so far, why not grab a coffee from one of our lovely local cafes and rest your feet for a bit! "We're very proud of the spaces we dreamt up, designed and delivered for our growing throngs of Inglewood-lovers to enjoy. After many years, conversations, emails, meetings, funding applications and dedication, we're delighted to see so many people seek out the Inglenooks to soak up the sun (or shade under the new umbrellas), meet up with friends or watch their kids play." - Ben, Chair of Inglewood on Beaufort.

937 Beaufort Street (1928)

In 1938, a notice in the West Australian announced the death of Isabella Alice Cross of 937 Beaufort Street. She was described only as “devoted friend of ‘Ruby’ Mary Mattinson”. The ‘devoted friend’ phrase may indicate that Isabella and Ruby were lovers. Isabella had married Walter Cross in 1905, at St George’s Church in Busselton. She asked if her friend, Ruby, could come and stay with them. Although Walter initially agreed, he fell out with Ruby and asked her to leave, which she refused to do. The husband-wife relationship broke down, and at the divorce hearing in 1920, Walter testified that Isabella left the marital bed to share Ruby’s. Eventually, Isabella and Ruby opened a deli on the corner of Beaufort Street and Normanby Road, which they ran together until Isabella’s death in 1938.

880 Beaufort Street (1959)

The Inglewood Bank of NSW was built in 1959 and is still around today, although it's lost the magnificent breeze block screen which is the epitome of Mid Century Modernist design. Before air conditioning was widespread, designers devised various ways to keep buildings cool: cupolas, external blinds and awnings, transom windows. But none had as much panache as breeze blocks. Breeze block screens were perforated concrete walls made up of individual blocks, each pierced with the same shape. Mounted together, they form a striking pattern. Breeze blocks caused a sensation in the 1950s and 1960s. Classical design principles were abandoned in favour of simple lines and new building materials, such as concrete. Breeze blocks were the perfect addition to Modernist design, filtering sun without hindering ventilation. In particular they became strongly associated with houses on the West Coast of the USA. Australia got the breeze block craze straight from Los Angeles. The Inglewood branch of the Bank of NSW is not a masterpiece, but its classic breeze block screen was so Mid-Century Modern, it seems a pity there aren’t more of them on our streetscape.

Post Office (1949)

Inglewood Post Office is one of the most elegant Post Offices remaining from its era anywhere in Australia. It is an important Modern Movement design, as well as being one of the earliest Modern post offices designed by the Commonwealth Department of Works. Opened in 1949, Inglewood Post Office has an elegantly composed front to the street corner. Australian Modernism arose from the works of the De Stijl movement and buildings by Dutch architect, Willem Marius Dudok. Originally an art movement, De Stijl (‘The Style’) stressed simple horizontal and vertical lines, which were combined with other simple forms to give a strong idea of harmony and order. One of the leading exponents in the art world was Piet Mondrian, whose simple rectangles and lines are among the most famous modern works of art. All of these philosophical/art-theory ideas can be seen on the Beaufort Street frontage which has two planes in sienna face brickwork. These planes are capped with a light concrete cornice which is visually linked to the cantilevered concrete hood over the main entrance and strip window.

Inglenooks

Built for and by Inglewood locals, the Inglenooks are an Inglewood on Beaufort project designed to revamp and beautify the Dove House, Tirza Court and 898 Beaufort Street spaces. If you're following the trail so far, why not grab a coffee from one of our lovely local cafes and rest your feet for a bit! "We're very proud of the spaces we dreamt up, designed and delivered for our growing throngs of Inglewood-lovers to enjoy. After many years, conversations, emails, meetings, funding applications and dedication, we're delighted to see so many people seek out the Inglenooks to soak up the sun (or shade under the new umbrellas), meet up with friends or watch their kids play." - Ben, Chair of Inglewood on Beaufort.

New Look Dry Cleaners (1955)

The site of New Look Dry Cleaners has had a number of uses over the years, including a garage and shops. But in 1955, the site was cleared and the current building erected for ‘Swan Dry Cleaners’. The simple design, with no decoration, is typical of the post-WWII era when austerity ruled the architectural and building trade, The post-war era also saw the population of Perth boom with New Australians arriving from all parts of Europe. To encourage these newcomers to use their services, Swan Dry Cleaners advertised in the Mediterranean Voice, a multi-language magazine which had articles in Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Maltese, Yugoslav, and English. This shows the diversity of nations which were now moving here in the second half of the 20th century.

New Look Dry Cleaners (1955)

The site of New Look Dry Cleaners has had a number of uses over the years, including a garage and shops. But in 1955, the site was cleared and the current building erected for ‘Swan Dry Cleaners’. The simple design, with no decoration, is typical of the post-WWII era when austerity ruled the architectural and building trade, The post-war era also saw the population of Perth boom with New Australians arriving from all parts of Europe. To encourage these newcomers to use their services, Swan Dry Cleaners advertised in the Mediterranean Voice, a multi-language magazine which had articles in Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Maltese, Yugoslav, and English. This shows the diversity of nations which were now moving here in the second half of the 20th century.

Inglenooks

Built for and by Inglewood locals, the Inglenooks are an Inglewood on Beaufort project designed to revamp and beautify the Dove House, Tirza Court and 898 Beaufort Street spaces. If you're following the trail so far, why not grab a coffee from one of our lovely local cafes and rest your feet for a bit! "We're very proud of the spaces we dreamt up, designed and delivered for our growing throngs of Inglewood-lovers to enjoy. After many years, conversations, emails, meetings, funding applications and dedication, we're delighted to see so many people seek out the Inglenooks to soak up the sun (or shade under the new umbrellas), meet up with friends or watch their kids play." - Ben, Chair of Inglewood on Beaufort.

Woolworthes (2021)

This modest cottage was the home of William Innes, a locally renowned wrestler hailing from Ireland. In the early 1900s fights between Innes and his chief rival, Scotsman George Dinnie, were sure to draw a large crowd in Perth. Wrestling as entertainment traces its roots back to the 19th century, evolving from the traditions of folk wrestling. It took shape by taking elements of both ‘freestyle’ and ‘Greco-Roman’ wrestling. William Innes, like his rival, originally came to Western Australia to serve in the Fire Brigade. However, they were both recruited into the rapidly expanding police force. By 1908, Innes was a middleweight champion boxer, and our leading exponent of weightlifting and wrestling. One memorable match between the Irishman and the Scotsman took place at His Majesty’s Theatre in 1907. A newspaper report gives a good idea of the exciting event: The first of the series of contests for the wrestling championship of the State was held at His Majesty's Theatre last evening. The contestants were George Dinnie and W. lnnes. The former is a much heavier man than his opponent. He did most of the attacking. Innes resisted well, and some fine wrestling was witnessed. Innes eluded Dinnie for upwards of five minutes during the first ‘bout,’ but was finally ‘pinned’ with a half-arm roll. It took Dinnie 6min. 25sec. to gain the second fall. The pair gave an excellent exhibition, but it was apparent throughout that Dinnie had the advantage. The large audience cheered both men when Ben Hur, who acted as referee, declared Dinnie the winner. Innes continued to live in this Georgian style cottage until his death in 1951.

Cecchi's

A closer look at 1000 Beaufort Street reveals a commercial premises facing the street and duplex housing behind the frontage. Quite often this is the result of a shop being added to housing which was set back from the street, but in this case, it was built exactly like this. The first occupants of the front in 1936 was Central Provisions Stores, which had branches across Perth. The owner/developer of the site was Walter William Goodlet, who served in the 11th Battalion during World War I. He landed at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915 and fought bravely against the Turks but was wounded twice and suffered from pleurisy. He returned to Australia, but still insisted on rejoining his unit in France, where he was wounded again in the neck and leg. He wrote a personal account of his landing at Gallipoli, which is a moving tribute to his fallen comrades. After the war, Goodlet became an electrician, a farmer, a property investor, and a local government official. One of his property investments was 1000 Beaufort Street.

Inglewood Hotel (1935, Parry & Clifton)

The Inglewood Hotel is one of the last eclectic buildings, fusing Spanish and Dutch influences into a unique structure. Eclectic architecture draws inspiration from various historical and geographical styles, resulting in something fresh and original. Architects, armed with a vast catalogue of past designs, could creatively combine various elements to craft distinctive buildings. But the hotel’s Dutch Gables reveal an unexpected origin. While their form aligns with a European history, the true influence hails from South Africa. The 20th-century revival of this gable is thanks to English architect Herbert Baker. Although Baker never set foot in Australia, he did design the chapel at Fairbridge near Pinjarra. His article, “The Origin of Cape Architecture,” highlighted the Dutch Gable as a hallmark of Cape-style buildings. Baker’s work in South Africa further popularized this architectural feature. When architects Parry & Clifton sought elements for the Inglewood Hotel, they turned to the Cape Dutch Gable. Combining it with arched details from the Spanish Mission style—often associated with California—they fashioned a very mid-1930s hotel design. This style didn’t endure, however, as later hotels embraced a more functionalist approach. Critics decried eclecticism for lacking originality and diluting “true” historical styles. However, the Inglewood Hotel stands as an example of how skilled architects weaving together diverse traditions, can showcase creativity and expressive richness.

880 Beaufort Street (1959)

The Inglewood Bank of NSW was built in 1959 and is still around today, although it's lost the magnificent breeze block screen which is the epitome of Mid Century Modernist design. Before air conditioning was widespread, designers devised various ways to keep buildings cool: cupolas, external blinds and awnings, transom windows. But none had as much panache as breeze blocks. Breeze block screens were perforated concrete walls made up of individual blocks, each pierced with the same shape. Mounted together, they form a striking pattern. Breeze blocks caused a sensation in the 1950s and 1960s. Classical design principles were abandoned in favour of simple lines and new building materials, such as concrete. Breeze blocks were the perfect addition to Modernist design, filtering sun without hindering ventilation. In particular they became strongly associated with houses on the West Coast of the USA. Australia got the breeze block craze straight from Los Angeles. The Inglewood branch of the Bank of NSW is not a masterpiece, but its classic breeze block screen was so Mid-Century Modern, it seems a pity there aren’t more of them on our streetscape.

840 Beaufort Street (c.1934, Himalayan.)

Behind the more recent facade at 840 Beaufort Street is a hall which has seen more than 90 years of events, meetings, dances, and wedding receptions. Riley’s Hall opened in 1934 and quickly became the place on this stretch of Beaufort Street for entertainment. In the mid-1930s, Inglewood Cricket Club held weekly dances in the Hall to raise money for club funds. Not only did these weekly events involve dancing competitions, but also exhibition dances by experienced dancers, all held together by an orchestra. Politicians held rallies there, and although these were usually just State politics, one of these was much more controversial. Having failed to book Perth Town Hall or Bayswater Town Hall, because the council refused permission, the local National Socialist (Nazi) Party announced their first meeting would be at the privately-owned Riley’s Hall in October 1936. The leader of the party, William George Tracey, intended to parade large numbers of blue-shirted men through the streets of Perth, but his plans fortunately came to nothing. He even offered 500 free Nazi blue shirts to men who could not afford them. Happily, the local National Socialist party vanished with the outbreak of World War II, with public indifference likely the cause rather than government suppression.

Image courtesy of City of Stirling Community History Collection

843 Beaufort Street (1929)

The invention of reinforced concrete changed the world of architecture forever, but not usually at the scale of this building. Single-storey shops and dwellings that look like 843 Beaufort Street were, and still are, usually constructed of brick rather than concrete. However, this shop and residence was intended to show Western Australia what the future could look like. Samson Myslis was a construction engineer for London’s Ministry of Munitions, in World War I. When he and his family emigrated to Western Australia shortly after the war ended, they were prominent in the local Jewish community. By 1920 Samson was offering design services for reinforced concrete for: "Public Buildings, Factories, Bridges and Culverts, Foundations, Dams and Water Supply, Oil Storage Tanks, Concrete Floors and Roofs, Grain. Silos, Tanks for the Storage of Water, Sills and Lintels, Concrete Block Homes, Concrete Roads." So it is unsurprising that Myslis Construction would experiment with an entirely new way of making smaller buildings: entirely out of reinforced concrete. In 1929, on the corner of Beaufort Street and Seventh Avenue, Myslis erected two shops and a four-roomed residence in only twelve days. Although an entirely modern way of construction, the design for the residence kept to a traditional appearance with columns either side of the entrance, and the whole being finished in a cement intended to look like Donnybrook Stone. The first occupants of the shops on 843 Beaufort Street were West Australian Trawling Centre. Although the building has stood the test of time, and commercial buildings continued to be made of concrete, the technique did not catch on for single residences.

Civic Hotel (1940, Clifton & Summerhayes)

Like the Inglewood Post Office we saw earlier, the Civic Hotel is a great example of modernist architecture. Where the Inglewood Hotel used arches and columns in 1935, the Civic utilises only rectangular planes and spaces just five years later, in a style known as ‘Modern Recilinear’. Opening in March 1940, the Civic Hotel signified the new direction architecture was taking. Two other hotels opened that year which shared the same design philosophy: the Carlisle Hotel and the Highway Hotel on Stirling Avenue in Claremont (later known as the Colorado). The Civic was designed by Marshall Clifton and Reginald Summerhayes, the same architects who drew up plans for the Highway, while the Carlisle was by long-established architects Oldham, Boas and Ednie Brown. When the Civic Hotel opened, the press coverage was enthusiastic: "Spacious, modern from the flowing lines of its facade to the merest knick-knack of its interior decorators, the new Civic Hotel provides another landmark in the rapid growth of Inglewood, one of Perth's youngest and most progressive suburbs... Six months of skilled work, prefaced by exhaustive planning have been amply rewarded. The structure, making full use of clean, blending contours, indicative of a simple dignity in conception and treatment, can vie with any recent example of its kind and claim a place in the initial rank of hostelry both city and suburban."

867 Beaufort Street, Police Quarters (1940)

Older police buildings have three main elements: places to live, places to work and places to detain people. Over time, there were changes in how these elements were negotiated, and these changes can be seen in the heritage police buildings that remain with us. Before World War I, the three elements were, more often than not, closely related, often all happening in the same building. But, increasingly, they became seen as needing separate spaces. Between the World Wars, developments in design meant policing and detention became isolated from the provision of accommodation. So in the Inglewood Police Station (1940), the residence was placed on the corner with Beaufort Street and the Station and Lock Up further along down Eighth Avenue. Designed by the Public Works Department, both buildings were constructed by William Clark, who was also responsible, among other places, for Bassendean Grandstand (1932), Bassendean Fire Station (1934), and South Perth Fire Station (1936). The residence had five rooms, while the Station comprised a sergeant's office, a general office, a room for the Criminal Investigation Branch, and two cells. At the time, some people questioned why the Police Station wasn’t on the main road and the residence on the other block, and this remains an unsolved mystery.

Saffron (1980s)

Now an Indian restaurant, when it first opened in the early 1980s, this building was intended to be in the Swiss Chalet Style and host a Bavarian-themed restaurant. The high point of the Swiss Chalet Style was in the USA in the first decades of the 20th century. Traditional Swiss buildings were in timber and log, but the revivals were in more convenient materials, such as brick. Today, the building still has its decorative bargeboards above the front gable, and ornamental shutters on the first floor. These are some of the hallmarks of the Swiss Chalet Style, which is very rare in Western Australia.

Post Office (1949)

Inglewood Post Office is one of the most elegant Post Offices remaining from its era anywhere in Australia. It is an important Modern Movement design, as well as being one of the earliest Modern post offices designed by the Commonwealth Department of Works. Opened in 1949, Inglewood Post Office has an elegantly composed front to the street corner. Australian Modernism arose from the works of the De Stijl movement and buildings by Dutch architect, Willem Marius Dudok. Originally an art movement, De Stijl (‘The Style’) stressed simple horizontal and vertical lines, which were combined with other simple forms to give a strong idea of harmony and order. One of the leading exponents in the art world was Piet Mondrian, whose simple rectangles and lines are among the most famous modern works of art. All of these philosophical/art-theory ideas can be seen on the Beaufort Street frontage which has two planes in sienna face brickwork. These planes are capped with a light concrete cornice which is visually linked to the cantilevered concrete hood over the main entrance and strip window.

New Look Dry Cleaners

The site of New Look Dry Cleaners has had a number of uses over the years, including a garage and shops. But in 1955, the site was cleared and the current building erected for ‘Swan Dry Cleaners’. The simple design, with no decoration, is typical of the post-WWII era when austerity ruled the architectural and building trade, The post-war era also saw the population of Perth boom with New Australians arriving from all parts of Europe. To encourage these newcomers to use their services, Swan Dry Cleaners advertised in the Mediterranean Voice, a multi-language magazine which had articles in Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Maltese, Yugoslav, and English. This shows the diversity of nations which were now moving here in the second half of the 20th century.

Inglewood Arts Hub (1993)

An Infant Health Centre opened in March 1940 on the corner of Tenth Avenue and Beaufort Street. It was designed by well-known architect William Bennett, who was also responsible for the Raffles Hotel, the Regal Theatre and Sawyers Valley Tavern. Generously, Bennett volunteered his services and the builder, P. A. Ellis, erected the building for no profit. The library and Autumn Centre on the same block were opened in 1963, and the library was enlarged in 1964 and again in 1968. In 1991, the Infant Health Centre was demolished, along with the other buildings, and a new Library and surrounding complex opened in 1993. More recently the space has become host to the Inglewood Arts Hub, Stemming from the efforts of Inglewood on Beaufort and a group of dedicated local artists, the Inglewood Arts Hub is a place for creatives and the community to come together and connect.

824 Beaufort Street (Mondos, building 1935, butchers on this site since 1932)

There has been a butcher’s shop at 824 Beaufort Street since 1932, although the current building appears to date from a few years after that. Originally run by the McGovern brothers, it still operates at a butcher nearly a century later. W. F. McGovern was not only a master butcher, he was also well-known in Belmont as one of the few people who bred and trained his own horses. He became interested in racing when he acquired Flying Lass in 1937 from a breeder in Coorow. This horse was so successful he bought three more from the same dam (mother), a horse called Beehive. All of these were very successful, including Pantive who held the State record for six furlongs in the 1940s.

919 Beaufort Street (1936, Civic Theatre)

The former Civic Theatre acts as Inglewood’s Town Hall, which is interesting. Clock towers are usually associated with council buildings, but the only one in Inglewood was constructed by private enterprise and intended to serve as a landmark for the newly constructed Civic Theatre when it opened in 1936. Public clocks were once essential for people trying to catch transport, such as trains, long before you glanced at your mobile phone. All clocks in Western Australia, with the exception of a few on the far eastern boarders, are set to one time: 8 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time. But this was not always the case. Each Australian city used to use a local time, and a cannon was fired from the Observatory in West Perth each day so locals could set their watches. Perth was 7 hours, 43 minutes and 27 seconds ahead of London, while Fremantle was (technically) 7 hours 43 minutes and 2 seconds ahead, although it would have used Perth Time. But on 1 February 1895, the world adopted a new system of Zones, whereby each colony in Australia would get a new time which was an exact number of minutes ahead of the UK. And Western Australia was allocated 8 hours.

Image courtesy of City of Stirling Community History Collection

Inglewood Arts Hub (1993)

An Infant Health Centre opened in March 1940 on the corner of Tenth Avenue and Beaufort Street. It was designed by well-known architect William Bennett, who was also responsible for the Raffles Hotel, the Regal Theatre and Sawyers Valley Tavern. Generously, Bennett volunteered his services and the builder, P. A. Ellis, erected the building for no profit. The library and Autumn Centre on the same block were opened in 1963, and the library was enlarged in 1964 and again in 1968. In 1991, the Infant Health Centre was demolished, along with the other buildings, and a new Library and surrounding complex opened in 1993. More recently the space has become host to the Inglewood Arts Hub, Stemming from the efforts of Inglewood on Beaufort and a group of dedicated local artists, the Inglewood Arts Hub is a place for creatives and the community to come together and connect.

822 Beaufort Street (c.1912, originally 810 Beaufort Street)

This modest cottage was the home of William Innes, a locally renowned wrestler hailing from Ireland. In the early 1900s fights between Innes and his chief rival, Scotsman George Dinnie, were sure to draw a large crowd in Perth. Wrestling as entertainment traces its roots back to the 19th century, evolving from the traditions of folk wrestling. It took shape by taking elements of both ‘freestyle’ and ‘Greco-Roman’ wrestling. William Innes, like his rival, originally came to Western Australia to serve in the Fire Brigade. However, they were both recruited into the rapidly expanding police force. By 1908, Innes was a middleweight champion boxer, and our leading exponent of weightlifting and wrestling. One memorable match between the Irishman and the Scotsman took place at His Majesty’s Theatre in 1907. A newspaper report gives a good idea of the exciting event: "The first of the series of contests for the wrestling championship of the State was held at His Majesty's Theatre last evening. The contestants were George Dinnie and W. lnnes. The former is a much heavier man than his opponent. He did most of the attacking. Innes resisted well, and some fine wrestling was witnessed. Innes eluded Dinnie for upwards of five minutes during the first ‘bout,’ but was finally ‘pinned’ with a half-arm roll. It took Dinnie 6min. 25sec. to gain the second fall. The pair gave an excellent exhibition, but it was apparent throughout that Dinnie had the advantage. The large audience cheered both men when Ben Hur, who acted as referee, declared Dinnie the winner." Innes continued to live in this Georgian style cottage until his death in 1951.

Inglewood Hotel (1935, Parry & Clifton)

The Inglewood Hotel is one of the last eclectic buildings, fusing Spanish and Dutch influences into a unique structure. Eclectic architecture draws inspiration from various historical and geographical styles, resulting in something fresh and original. Architects, armed with a vast catalogue of past designs, could creatively combine various elements to craft distinctive buildings. But the hotel’s Dutch Gables reveal an unexpected origin. While their form aligns with a European history, the true influence hails from South Africa. The 20th-century revival of this gable is thanks to English architect Herbert Baker. Although Baker never set foot in Australia, he did design the chapel at Fairbridge near Pinjarra. His article, “The Origin of Cape Architecture,” highlighted the Dutch Gable as a hallmark of Cape-style buildings. Baker’s work in South Africa further popularized this architectural feature. When architects Parry & Clifton sought elements for the Inglewood Hotel, they turned to the Cape Dutch Gable. Combining it with arched details from the Spanish Mission style—often associated with California—they fashioned a very mid-1930s hotel design. This style didn’t endure, however, as later hotels embraced a more functionalist approach. Critics decried eclecticism for lacking originality and diluting “true” historical styles. However, the Inglewood Hotel stands as an example of how skilled architects weaving together diverse traditions, can showcase creativity and expressive richness.

Civic Hotel (1940, Clifton & Summerhayes)

Like the Inglewood Post Office we saw earlier, the Civic Hotel is a great example of modernist architecture. Where the Inglewood Hotel used arches and columns in 1935, the Civic utilises only rectangular planes and spaces just five years later, in a style known as ‘Modern Recilinear’. Opening in March 1940, the Civic Hotel signified the new direction architecture was taking. Two other hotels opened that year which shared the same design philosophy: the Carlisle Hotel and the Highway Hotel on Stirling Avenue in Claremont (later known as the Colorado). The Civic was designed by Marshall Clifton and Reginald Summerhayes, the same architects who drew up plans for the Highway, while the Carlisle was by long-established architects Oldham, Boas and Ednie Brown. When the Civic Hotel opened, the press coverage was enthusiastic: "Spacious, modern from the flowing lines of its facade to the merest knick-knack of its interior decorators, the new Civic Hotel provides another landmark in the rapid growth of Inglewood, one of Perth's youngest and most progressive suburbs... Six months of skilled work, prefaced by exhaustive planning have been amply rewarded. The structure, making full use of clean, blending contours, indicative of a simple dignity in conception and treatment, can vie with any recent example of its kind and claim a place in the initial rank of hostelry both city and suburban."

867 Beaufort Street, Police Quarters (1940)

Older police buildings have three main elements: places to live, places to work and places to detain people. Over time, there were changes in how these elements were negotiated, and these changes can be seen in the heritage police buildings that remain with us. Before World War I, the three elements were, more often than not, closely related, often all happening in the same building. But, increasingly, they became seen as needing separate spaces. Between the World Wars, developments in design meant policing and detention became isolated from the provision of accommodation. So in the Inglewood Police Station (1940), the residence was placed on the corner with Beaufort Street and the Station and Lock Up further along down Eighth Avenue. Designed by the Public Works Department, both buildings were constructed by William Clark, who was also responsible, among other places, for Bassendean Grandstand (1932), Bassendean Fire Station (1934), and South Perth Fire Station (1936). The residence had five rooms, while the Station comprised a sergeant's office, a general office, a room for the Criminal Investigation Branch, and two cells. At the time, some people questioned why the Police Station wasn’t on the main road and the residence on the other block, and this remains an unsolved mystery.

919 Beaufort Street (1936, Civic Theatre)

The former Civic Theatre acts as Inglewood’s Town Hall, which is interesting. Clock towers are usually associated with council buildings, but the only one in Inglewood was constructed by private enterprise and intended to serve as a landmark for the newly constructed Civic Theatre when it opened in 1936. Public clocks were once essential for people trying to catch transport, such as trains, long before you glanced at your mobile phone. All clocks in Western Australia, with the exception of a few on the far eastern boarders, are set to one time: 8 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time. But this was not always the case. Each Australian city used to use a local time, and a cannon was fired from the Observatory in West Perth each day so locals could set their watches. Perth was 7 hours, 43 minutes and 27 seconds ahead of London, while Fremantle was (technically) 7 hours 43 minutes and 2 seconds ahead, although it would have used Perth Time. But on 1 February 1895, the world adopted a new system of Zones, whereby each colony in Australia would get a new time which was an exact number of minutes ahead of the UK. And Western Australia was allocated 8 hours.

Image courtesy of City of Stirling Community History Collection

919 Beaufort Street (1936, Civic Theatre)

The former Civic Theatre acts as Inglewood’s Town Hall, which is interesting. Clock towers are usually associated with council buildings, but the only one in Inglewood was constructed by private enterprise and intended to serve as a landmark for the newly constructed Civic Theatre when it opened in 1936. Public clocks were once essential for people trying to catch transport, such as trains, long before you glanced at your mobile phone. All clocks in Western Australia, with the exception of a few on the far eastern boarders, are set to one time: 8 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time. But this was not always the case. Each Australian city used to use a local time, and a cannon was fired from the Observatory in West Perth each day so locals could set their watches. Perth was 7 hours, 43 minutes and 27 seconds ahead of London, while Fremantle was (technically) 7 hours 43 minutes and 2 seconds ahead, although it would have used Perth Time. But on 1 February 1895, the world adopted a new system of Zones, whereby each colony in Australia would get a new time which was an exact number of minutes ahead of the UK. And Western Australia was allocated 8 hours.

Image courtesy of City of Stirling Community History Collection

843 Beaufort Street (1929)

The invention of reinforced concrete changed the world of architecture forever, but not usually at the scale of this building. Single-storey shops and dwellings that look like 843 Beaufort Street were, and still are, usually constructed of brick rather than concrete. However, this shop and residence was intended to show Western Australia what the future could look like. Samson Myslis was a construction engineer for London’s Ministry of Munitions, in World War I. When he and his family emigrated to Western Australia shortly after the war ended, they were prominent in the local Jewish community. By 1920 Samson was offering design services for reinforced concrete for: "Public Buildings, Factories, Bridges and Culverts, Foundations, Dams and Water Supply, Oil Storage Tanks, Concrete Floors and Roofs, Grain. Silos, Tanks for the Storage of Water, Sills and Lintels, Concrete Block Homes, Concrete Roads." So it is unsurprising that Myslis Construction would experiment with an entirely new way of making smaller buildings: entirely out of reinforced concrete. In 1929, on the corner of Beaufort Street and Seventh Avenue, Myslis erected two shops and a four-roomed residence in only twelve days. Although an entirely modern way of construction, the design for the residence kept to a traditional appearance with columns either side of the entrance, and the whole being finished in a cement intended to look like Donnybrook Stone. The first occupants of the shops on 843 Beaufort Street were West Australian Trawling Centre. Although the building has stood the test of time, and commercial buildings continued to be made of concrete, the technique did not catch on for single residences.

822 Beaufort Street (c.1912, originally 810 Beaufort Street)

This modest cottage was the home of William Innes, a locally renowned wrestler hailing from Ireland. In the early 1900s fights between Innes and his chief rival, Scotsman George Dinnie, were sure to draw a large crowd in Perth. Wrestling as entertainment traces its roots back to the 19th century, evolving from the traditions of folk wrestling. It took shape by taking elements of both ‘freestyle’ and ‘Greco-Roman’ wrestling. William Innes, like his rival, originally came to Western Australia to serve in the Fire Brigade. However, they were both recruited into the rapidly expanding police force. By 1908, Innes was a middleweight champion boxer, and our leading exponent of weightlifting and wrestling. One memorable match between the Irishman and the Scotsman took place at His Majesty’s Theatre in 1907. A newspaper report gives a good idea of the exciting event: "The first of the series of contests for the wrestling championship of the State was held at His Majesty's Theatre last evening. The contestants were George Dinnie and W. lnnes. The former is a much heavier man than his opponent. He did most of the attacking. Innes resisted well, and some fine wrestling was witnessed. Innes eluded Dinnie for upwards of five minutes during the first ‘bout,’ but was finally ‘pinned’ with a half-arm roll. It took Dinnie 6min. 25sec. to gain the second fall. The pair gave an excellent exhibition, but it was apparent throughout that Dinnie had the advantage. The large audience cheered both men when Ben Hur, who acted as referee, declared Dinnie the winner." Innes continued to live in this Georgian style cottage until his death in 1951.

867 Beaufort Street, Police Quarters (1940)

Older police buildings have three main elements: places to live, places to work and places to detain people. Over time, there were changes in how these elements were negotiated, and these changes can be seen in the heritage police buildings that remain with us. Before World War I, the three elements were, more often than not, closely related, often all happening in the same building. But, increasingly, they became seen as needing separate spaces. Between the World Wars, developments in design meant policing and detention became isolated from the provision of accommodation. So in the Inglewood Police Station (1940), the residence was placed on the corner with Beaufort Street and the Station and Lock Up further along down Eighth Avenue. Designed by the Public Works Department, both buildings were constructed by William Clark, who was also responsible, among other places, for Bassendean Grandstand (1932), Bassendean Fire Station (1934), and South Perth Fire Station (1936). The residence had five rooms, while the Station comprised a sergeant's office, a general office, a room for the Criminal Investigation Branch, and two cells. At the time, some people questioned why the Police Station wasn’t on the main road and the residence on the other block, and this remains an unsolved mystery.

Saffron (1980s)

Now an Indian restaurant, when it first opened in the early 1980s, this building was intended to be in the Swiss Chalet Style and host a Bavarian-themed restaurant. The high point of the Swiss Chalet Style was in the USA in the first decades of the 20th century. Traditional Swiss buildings were in timber and log, but the revivals were in more convenient materials, such as brick. Today, the building still has its decorative bargeboards above the front gable, and ornamental shutters on the first floor. These are some of the hallmarks of the Swiss Chalet Style, which is very rare in Western Australia.

948 Beaufort Street (c.1935)

During the 1930s, many German and Austrian residents in Western Australia faced significant challenges due to rising tensions between the British and German Empires. As war loomed in 1939, anti-German sentiment grew here and the German and Austrian communities, once well-established and liked, found themselves under suspicion and even hostility. During this time, many German cultural establishments closed, and families Anglicised their names to hide their heritage. In 1939, 948 Beaufort Street was home to Johann Cykl, who was born at Hausbach, a small village near Vienna. He had been residing in Western Australia for ten years before the impending war meant that life became more difficult for Austrians living here. As a result, he slightly modified his name to John Cykle and applied for Naturalisation, making him a British Citizen, as all Australians still were in the 1930s. A ladies’ hairdresser, John does not seem to have suffered too badly because of World War II, and by 1948 had a shop in Claremont, before opening a salon in Bunbury opposite the Rose Hotel. There he lived out the rest of life, being buried there in 1990 aged 83.

Woolworthes (2021)

This modest cottage was the home of William Innes, a locally renowned wrestler hailing from Ireland. In the early 1900s fights between Innes and his chief rival, Scotsman George Dinnie, were sure to draw a large crowd in Perth. Wrestling as entertainment traces its roots back to the 19th century, evolving from the traditions of folk wrestling. It took shape by taking elements of both ‘freestyle’ and ‘Greco-Roman’ wrestling. William Innes, like his rival, originally came to Western Australia to serve in the Fire Brigade. However, they were both recruited into the rapidly expanding police force. By 1908, Innes was a middleweight champion boxer, and our leading exponent of weightlifting and wrestling. One memorable match between the Irishman and the Scotsman took place at His Majesty’s Theatre in 1907. A newspaper report gives a good idea of the exciting event: The first of the series of contests for the wrestling championship of the State was held at His Majesty's Theatre last evening. The contestants were George Dinnie and W. lnnes. The former is a much heavier man than his opponent. He did most of the attacking. Innes resisted well, and some fine wrestling was witnessed. Innes eluded Dinnie for upwards of five minutes during the first ‘bout,’ but was finally ‘pinned’ with a half-arm roll. It took Dinnie 6min. 25sec. to gain the second fall. The pair gave an excellent exhibition, but it was apparent throughout that Dinnie had the advantage. The large audience cheered both men when Ben Hur, who acted as referee, declared Dinnie the winner. Innes continued to live in this Georgian style cottage until his death in 1951.

919 Beaufort Street (1936, Civic Theatre)

The former Civic Theatre acts as Inglewood’s Town Hall, which is interesting. Clock towers are usually associated with council buildings, but the only one in Inglewood was constructed by private enterprise and intended to serve as a landmark for the newly constructed Civic Theatre when it opened in 1936. Public clocks were once essential for people trying to catch transport, such as trains, long before you glanced at your mobile phone. All clocks in Western Australia, with the exception of a few on the far eastern boarders, are set to one time: 8 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time. But this was not always the case. Each Australian city used to use a local time, and a cannon was fired from the Observatory in West Perth each day so locals could set their watches. Perth was 7 hours, 43 minutes and 27 seconds ahead of London, while Fremantle was (technically) 7 hours 43 minutes and 2 seconds ahead, although it would have used Perth Time. But on 1 February 1895, the world adopted a new system of Zones, whereby each colony in Australia would get a new time which was an exact number of minutes ahead of the UK. And Western Australia was allocated 8 hours.

Image courtesy of City of Stirling Community History Collection

Inglenooks

Built for and by Inglewood locals, the Inglenooks are an Inglewood on Beaufort project designed to revamp and beautify the Dove House, Tirza Court and 898 Beaufort Street spaces. If you're following the trail so far, why not grab a coffee from one of our lovely local cafes and rest your feet for a bit! "We're very proud of the spaces we dreamt up, designed and delivered for our growing throngs of Inglewood-lovers to enjoy. After many years, conversations, emails, meetings, funding applications and dedication, we're delighted to see so many people seek out the Inglenooks to soak up the sun (or shade under the new umbrellas), meet up with friends or watch their kids play." - Ben, Chair of Inglewood on Beaufort.

New Look Dry Cleaners (1955)

The site of New Look Dry Cleaners has had a number of uses over the years, including a garage and shops. But in 1955, the site was cleared and the current building erected for ‘Swan Dry Cleaners’. The simple design, with no decoration, is typical of the post-WWII era when austerity ruled the architectural and building trade, The post-war era also saw the population of Perth boom with New Australians arriving from all parts of Europe. To encourage these newcomers to use their services, Swan Dry Cleaners advertised in the Mediterranean Voice, a multi-language magazine which had articles in Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Maltese, Yugoslav, and English. This shows the diversity of nations which were now moving here in the second half of the 20th century.

867 Beaufort Street, Police Quarters (1940)

Older police buildings have three main elements: places to live, places to work and places to detain people. Over time, there were changes in how these elements were negotiated, and these changes can be seen in the heritage police buildings that remain with us. Before World War I, the three elements were, more often than not, closely related, often all happening in the same building. But, increasingly, they became seen as needing separate spaces. Between the World Wars, developments in design meant policing and detention became isolated from the provision of accommodation. So in the Inglewood Police Station (1940), the residence was placed on the corner with Beaufort Street and the Station and Lock Up further along down Eighth Avenue. Designed by the Public Works Department, both buildings were constructed by William Clark, who was also responsible, among other places, for Bassendean Grandstand (1932), Bassendean Fire Station (1934), and South Perth Fire Station (1936). The residence had five rooms, while the Station comprised a sergeant's office, a general office, a room for the Criminal Investigation Branch, and two cells. At the time, some people questioned why the Police Station wasn’t on the main road and the residence on the other block, and this remains an unsolved mystery.